Ingredients for the DOUGH
- 2 cups flour
- 2 table spoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 4tbsp butter/margarine
- 1/2 cup of water
- Oil for frying
Ingredients for Syrup
- 500g sugar
- 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Ru in the butter and mix until pliable
- mix this with egg and water (adding water at a time)
- Work the dough well. If the dough appears to be lumpy and sticky, continue to work the dough until it will ball up.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature for about three hours (under an inverted mixing bowl.
Method in making Syrup:
- Dissolve sugar in the water.
- Add all the spices and lemon juice to this and boil together. Leave the syrup to cool in the fridge overnight.
To Prepare the Koeksisters:
- Roll out the dough (thickness 5mm)
- Cut the dough into strips of 6cm long, 2cm wide)
- Cut each of these strip into 3 strips and make a twist like a hair twist, and pinch together the end.
- Deep fry in hot oil, within 3 minutes in low temperature just enough to brown the dough. Once cook, drain it quickly. And add the syrup. ( The secret is make the syrup so cold while the koeksisters hot this way it will draw enough syrup.