Ingredients for the dough
- Wh1/2 cup warm water + 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/8 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted ( I replaced this with 65ml. oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Filling:
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together the yeast and warm water. Mix in the milk, 3/8 cup sugar, 1/3 cup melted butter, salt, egg and half of the flour. Gradually mix in the remaining flour, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Turn the dough out onto a floured counter to knead as soon as it pulls together enough.
- Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in a large greased bowl, and turn the dough to coat. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. ( The hour of rising sometimes vary from the temperature of the place where you care making them. IF it does not rise to suggested time, wait until it rise to about double the size of the dough). If you will not wait to the right time of its rising, the bread will turn like brick, it is hard.) So patience is the key on this recipe).
How to make the Toppings:
- Make the topping while the dough rises. In a medium bowl, beat 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour until the mixture is the consistency of thick paste. Divide into two parts, and place one part in a separate bowl. Mix cinnamon into one half, and vanilla into the other half.
Combining Dough and Filling:
- When the dough is done rising, cut into 12 even-sized pieces. Shape into balls, and place on a greased cookie sheet, spacing about 3 inches apart. Divide each bowl of topping into 6 balls, and pat flat. Place circles of topping on top of the dough balls patting down lightly. Use a knife to cut grooves in the topping like a clam shell. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
You can also shape into different Shapes, and colours like the one below