For the Cake:
- 225ml. (8fl. oz) sunflower oil, plus extra to grease;
- 225 ml. light muscovado sugar;
- 3 medium eggs
- 225gms. self raising flour
- 0.75 tastespoon of baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. each mixed spice, ground cinnamon, and ground ginger;
- 150g. sultanas
- 150grms. carrots, coarsely grated
- 150g. blended or grated pineapple chunks.
- 50-7g. 2-3 oz.) walnuts, roughly chopped
For the Icing;
- 250g. unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 400g. full fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 300g. icing sugar
- carrot for decorations, optional.
- Preheat over go 180 C fan (or mark 4 on gas.
- Grease and line the base and side of the round 20.5cm (8in) cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a bowl put the flour, baking ,mix spices then combine. Shift it then set aside.
- Put the oil, sugar and eggs into a large bowl and whisk together until its smooth.
- Add not the flour mixed with spices and soda. Then stir in the carrots, sultanas,pineapple, and walnuts.
- Scrape the mixture into the tin, and level to half of the tin, (the cake should rise about half of the tin). Put immediately to preheated oven for 1 hour or 1 hr. 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Take out the cake and put it into the rack and cool it down for 5 mins, then you can remove the tin and let it completely cool down into the rack.
How to Make the Icing:
- In a large bowl beat the butter and vanilla until completely smooth, then add the room temperature cream cheese and mix to combine. Sift over the icing sugar and mix (carefully at first, as otherwise there will be clouds of icing sugar) until smooth and fluffy.
- Cut the cooled cake in a half horizontally though the middle. Use half the icing to sandwich the halves back together and place cake on a cake stand/plate. Spread remaining icing over top of he cake and lay on the carrot decorations, if using. Serve in slices.