1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp Szechuan peppercorns or green or red peppercorns
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp chicken stock or water
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp minced ginger root
2 tsp minced garlic
1 small onion, sliced
12 oz (350 grams) flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain
1 lb asparagus, cut into 2-inch segments
- Combine peppercorns. Coarsely grind in a pepper grinder, mortar and pestle, or by crushing with a wine bottle between two sheets of waxed paper.
- In a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, soya sauce, chicken stock or water and cornstarch. Mix well until cornstarch is dissolved. Set sauce mixture aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds.
- Add ginger root, garlic and onion. Stir-fry 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add beef and cook, stirring to separate pieces, about 2 minutes.
- Season with mixed peppercorns.
- Add asparagus; toss to mix and cook 2 minutes.
- Add sauce mixture; stir and cook until thickened
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.