Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
½ pound pork fat, cut into thin strips
¼ cup oil
2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
1 onion, peeled and chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup soy sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 bay leaves
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut a thin incision in the center of each beef cubes and gently insert a strip of pork fat. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and carrots and cook until lightly browned. Remove from pot and drain on paper towels.
- Remove oil from pot except about 2 tablespoons. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp. Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add lemon juice and soy sauce and continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil, skimming scum that may rise to top. Add bay leaves. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. If drying out before beef is tender, add additional water in ½ cup increments as needed.
- Add potatoes and carrots and continue to cook until potatoes are tender and sauce is reduced. Add bell peppers and continue to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until tender-crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.