- 1/2 kg beef sirloin
- 2 cups sliced bitter gourd (ampalaya)known in English as Bitter Melon
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, julienned
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed in 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- cooking oil
1. Cut and slice beef thinly.
2. Soak sliced ampalaya in salted water for 5-10 minutes to lessen the bitter taste. Wash, drain, and set aside.
3. Marinate beef with soy sauce, ground black pepper, cornstarch mixed with water and sesame oil mixture for half an hour or more.
4. Pan fry the marinated beef until it turns medium dark brown (3 minutes on each side). Set aside.
5. On a separate pan, sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
7. Add soaked ampalaya and stir fry for 3 minutes. Then add beef and half cup water, bring to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes or until beef is tender.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.